The content of the article:
History of the breed
It is impossible to pinpoint the exact date of birth of the Chow Chow, but there is no doubt that similar dogs have already traced their history before our era. Mentions about them were kept in the library of the imperial family of China, in the 3rd century BC. Written sources have not survived to this day.
Dogs came to China from the warlike Mongols, as gifts to the emperor. To those, in turn, the Chow-Chow passed as trophies after fights with Siberian aborigines. The found remains of similar dogs in Siberia speak in favor of this theory. The question of how such an amazing breed appeared is still open..
- Some researchers believe that such an amazing creature could have appeared as a result of mixing the blood of a dog and a polar wolf..
- Another version of the origin of the breed – from a husky and a bear – can only bring a smile.
The gifts of the Mongols remained in the imperial family and the palaces of nobles. But the novelty was soon lost, the increased interest disappeared, and Chow Chows spread throughout the country – right down to the poor huts. Nobody thought about control over the purity of blood. The breed was rescued from the monasteries – Buddhist monks from different regions took care of the selection and breeding of purebred dogs in time, kept detailed records of the pedigrees of black and blue Chow Chows.
The first representatives of the breed appeared in Europe in the 18th century and were considered exotic curiosities. Changed the situation, impressed by the “plush” pet, Queen Victoria, in the middle of the 19th century. Loyal British people took up Her Majesty’s interest and began breeding the breed in 1887. In 1895, a breed standard was adopted and a chow-chow club was organized. In the Old World, the breed began with several dogs purchased from China.
In the Russian Far East, “plush” dogs appeared at the beginning of the 20th century. After the victory in the Great Patriotic War, European specimens were imported from Germany. But domestic chows were able to come up to world standards only by the end of the 1970s – “thoroughbreds” from world-renowned champions were brought to Leningrad.
Knowledge of the basic commands is needed to understand the allowed things. There is a strict balance of reward and confidence in teaching. Feeling weak or negative, the dog will simply refuse to do anything. [/color-box]
At home, training is almost impossible. Lack of time or experience, lack of confidence will make the pet understand that it is not necessary and not interesting to follow commands. The consequences of such training will be sad – the dog will be confident in its own leadership, and it is unlikely that it will be possible to change its point of view. It is better to initially entrust training to an experienced dog handler.
More difficult to train males. Bitches are more obedient and receptive – they are not disposed to fight for leadership in the pack.
Chow Chows are prone to problems with ligaments and joints – the weight of an adult dog often exceeds the capacity of the limbs. Insufficiently strong ligaments can cause the hock joints to bend forward, unreliable fixation.
Even minor trauma can cause arthritis. If a pet is limping for a long time, veterinarians usually pass a verdict: “Sprain of the joint”, but the lameness can last around a month, and then we are talking about a rupture of ligaments and other serious injuries.
To prevent such problems, you need to develop the ligaments:
- long walks;
- a company of dogs of similar size and build;
And, of course, watch out for the absence of high loads: it is better to exclude jumping from a decent height – stairs, chairs, sofas, benches.
Dermatitis also seriously annoy “plush” dogs. Itching and eczema cause the pet to constantly itch and lick. In the advanced phase, it can cause otitis media. For successful treatment, it is imperative to find out the substance that causes the allergy and remove the appropriate food from the diet.
Revealed a tendency of the breed to the following diseases:
- Distended belly.
- Dysplasia of the pelvis and elbow.
- Eye diseases.
The breed is popular – many people are attracted by the non-standard appearance and behavior of funny pets. High demand contributes to the rise in prices and the emergence of scam breeders offering low-quality dogs for decent money.
Last but not least, the price depends on the purpose of the purchase.
- A domestic dog with defects and signs that are not typical of a thoroughbred will cost around 5000-7000 rubles.
- A puppy without a passport, but with full compliance with the standards, will cost about 20,000-25,000 rubles.
- For an exhibition specimen from a well-known kennel, a descendant of champions, you will have to pay at least 40,000 rubles, and a bitch will cost more than a dog.
List of nurseries
- Il De Bote Khabarovsk – www.ildebote.ru/1.shtml
- Alegro Bravo Arkhangelsk – alegro-bravo.jimdo.com/
- From the Sursky Region, Penza – pitomez.ru/ru/club/show/894/
- Prim from Krasnaya Gorka, Podolsk – www.kennel-prim.narod.ru/
- From the Gradsky Mine, Chelyabinsk – chowdogs.ru/
- Savengri Rostov-on-Don – pitomnik-savengri.blizko.ru/
- Honiland, Ufa – www.honiland.narod.ru/
- Russian Risk Moscow – www.r-risk.ru/
- Сhowshine St. Petersburg – www.chowshine.narod.ru/index.html
Chow Chow Photos