Man bred many breeds of dogs artificially. Not all experiments were successful. However, with positive results, it was possible to please not only myself, but also all four-legged lovers. One of these experiments was the cockapoo breed..
The content of the article:
- 1. Origin of the breed (History)
- 2. General information and standards of the Cocker Poodle breed
- 3. Cockapoo character
- 4. Features: pros and cons
- 5. Color options
- 6. Health
- 7. Care and maintenance
- 8. Cockapoo nurseries
- 9. Popular nicknames
- 10. Photos Cockapoo
- 11. Video
Origin of the breed (History)
The Cocker Poodle was bred in the States. Two breeds were chosen for the experiment: Poodle and American Cocker Spaniel. The breeders were interested in the size and structure, color, structure of the hairline, genetic characteristics and character of these dogs. The experience turned out to be successful, since the positive qualities of each representative were transferred to the cockapoo.
Initially, separate breeds were used to breed new offspring – the cocker and the poodle. A little later, they began to breed a pure breed: when both parents belonged directly to the Cockapoo.
General information and standards of the Cocker Poodle breed
[expert_review expert_type = “self” qa_type = “popup” score_data = “Molt :: 5 ;; Health :: 6 ;; Intelligence :: 8 ;; Activity :: 7 ;; Maintenance Cost :: 6 ;; Friendliness :: 7 ;; Guardian qualities :: 2 ;; Training :: 8 “score_summary_text =” The characteristics of the breed are based on expert assessments and user opinions. ” score_max = “10” color = “blue-1”]
This breed was not included in the ICF, but it is impossible to talk about the complete absence of standards.
A real cockapoo is well built, looks more like a poodle, although the features of a spaniel are caught:
- the head is expressive and proportional to the body: rounded skull, well-defined contour of the muzzle;
- hanging ears covered with long hair;
- Dark brown eyes – intelligent and expressive;
- The nose matches the color of the eyes – dark;
- The body is strong, even heavy, the chest is wide;
- The straight back and limbs are of medium length, as is the neck;
- The musculature is well developed;
- By no means a short, sickle-shaped tail;
Cocker poodles can be ordinary or miniature, the difference between such individuals is huge, as can be seen from the characteristics:
- dwarf cockapoo weighs no more than 3 kg;
- that at best reaches 5 kg;
- the miniature breed reaches 35 – 38 cm at the withers and weighs 35 – 38 kg;
- a standard dog, which is very rare, can reach up to 30 kg in weight;
The breeders hoped to get a companion dog, they succeeded. The main thing that a cockapoo needs is friendship. And man is a real friend for him. For no reason, no reason, he will not be in conflict.
This dog is sweet, but curious, and his enthusiasm has no limits. Bothersome? Perhaps … And always happy. But this is not an insane joy, because the cockapoo has adopted a remarkable intellect from the poodle, so you can always “negotiate” with him. He also has an excellent nose, like a real spaniel..
Features: pros and cons
The character of the cocker poodle is its main “plus”, which attracts others like it:
- it can be started by young families with children;
- it is also suitable for those who do not have the opportunity (or do not like) to walk for a long time, since the walk of such a dog does not require a strict duration;
- cockapu is not subject to strong molting, its presence in the house does not cause allergies;
- and this dog also doesn’t smell;
But the breed also has disadvantages, which need to be known for those who want to acquire such a “miracle”:
- the owner will have to strictly monitor the diet, otherwise problems cannot be avoided;
- Cockapoo is by no means a quiet creature, he loves to bark very much;
- this dog returns a hundredfold not only the attention of the owner, but also inattention, that is, in the absence of kindness, it can become gloomy, painful;
Each dog of this breed is unique. It’s not only the color, but also the structure of the coat: some representatives of the hair are straight, others have wavy hair. It is the wool that indicates that the cocker spaniel is present in the cockapoo genus. It is evenly distributed over the body. The color palette is extensive:
- cream of different shades
- pale yellow
- chocolate of different shades
- dark brown
- the black
The color is not always uniform, it can change in the area of the muzzle, ears, sternum, limbs and anus. In addition, there are two-color and three-color individuals (for example, black and white).
With proper care, a cockapoo has a life span of 13 to 15 years. In general, young dog breeds cannot boast of excellent health, which is understandable, they seem to “absorb” all hereditary diseases. The Cocker Poodle is no exception. But by knowing the vulnerabilities, problems can be prevented or minimized. Diseases that are susceptible to cockapoo in the first place:
- violation of the development of the hip joint (hip joint);
- dislocation of the kneecaps;
- allergies and dermatitis;
- diseases of the stomach and intestines (volvulus, upset);
- liver pathology;
Care and maintenance
You cannot be afraid of this moment. Despite the many recommendations, it is enough to understand that each individual item is not so difficult, and when brought to automatism, it completely frees you from problems. Let’s divide all care into the main components:
Here it is necessary to adhere to general recommendations with the only difference that the frequency of all manipulations will be slightly different:
- wash once a month, not more often;
- comb out every three to four days;
- once a year, carry out professional grooming, while cutting the claws;
- ears and eyes should be cleaned every week (3-4 times) with the help of special products, eyes can be washed with chamomile decoction;
- it is recommended to brush your teeth several times a week, this prophylactic agent avoids the formation of tartar
Natural nutrition implies the use of certain types of meat that do not cause allergies and disruption of the gastrointestinal tract (chicken, pork), dairy products, cereals, vegetables. Delicious treats should be exclusively “doggy” and not from your table.
They are important. And above all for the socialization that the cocker poodle needs. Take him out for his first walk as early as possible, that is, as soon as the first vaccination allows. Take goodies and toys with you! For a smart cockapoo, it will be something like a dog school, that is, you can include elements of training in a walk. There is no need for a long duration, even for 15 minutes of such pleasure, your dog will be grateful to you.
She loves to study. The main thing is that the trainer does not pass up: discipline and firmness must be observed flawlessly. Cockapoo is very sensitive to intonation, this should be taken into account.
How to choose a cocker poodle puppy?
Cockapoo is an incredibly active creature, which manifests itself already from infancy. Therefore, when choosing a puppy, pay close attention to his behavior. Notice curiosity in his eyes, but in the “whirlwind” movement, then everything is in order. The main thing is to find a kennel where such puppies are found. When meeting a puppy, get acquainted with his documents: a cockapoo puppy can be easily confused with a spaniel puppy. Also, get to know the parents. Compliance with standards also plays an important role: coat, color, ear size, eye shape, etc..
Cockapoo approximate price
The approximate price for such a baby is 60 tons. But this is if you decide to buy a cockapoo in Russia, and such cases are rare. Puppies with good pedigree are born in the USA and Great Britain. Their price will be an order of magnitude higher, and may amount to 100 tons..
There are no official nurseries in Russia, but there are good breeders. Official nurseries are located abroad – in the UK and the USA. They have their own sites where you can not only buy, but also book an unborn puppy.
A nickname for a dog is like a name for a person, everything is not easy. Better to think hard once than to regret later. Of course, your pet will already have a legal name in the passport, but rarely does anyone use it in life. If you want to call the dog just Bagel, hardly anyone can forbid it. Here is a small list to begin with, so that there is something to push off from, and then decide for yourself.
Nicknames for males:
Nicknames for bitches:
Most importantly, do not forget about the importance of the moment, because “as you name the ship, so you will sail on it”.