Affenpinscher is a German breed. The name “affenpinscher” translates as “monkey pinscher”. The dog’s muzzle really resembles a monkey, which, combined with a shaggy body, huge self-love and a quarrelsome character, makes the Affenpinscher a very specific pet.
The content of the article:
History of the breed
Affenpinschers were bred in the south of Germany with one and only purpose: to destroy the rats terrorizing grain barns. The most popular miniature rat-catchers were among the merchants of Lubeck.
The first representatives of the breed were larger than modern individuals, and the merchants did not have any questions about the colors of the dogs. Unexpectedly for breeders by the 19th century, Affenpinschers themselves had become an expensive commodity: the aristocratic families of continental Europe bought small rodent hunters and kept them as lap dogs. Merchants exported a huge number of “decorative breed” animals outside Germany.
Shaggy kids are anxious about “their” territory, so loud barking will warn about the approach of guests, without delving into the details: whether they are invited or not.
Shaggy pets were depicted on canvases by Albrecht Durer and other medieval masters. Descriptions appeared in the 17th century. But German pragmatists did not keep herd books, so it is impossible to understand which dogs became the ancestors of the Affenpinschers. It is assumed that pinschers and pug-like Asian breeds stood at the source, but, most likely, these species did not manage.
1913 – it was then that the Affenpinschers received official recognition from German dog handlers. The breed was registered in the New World and Britain in 1936.
The Second World War significantly affected the number of shaggy pets. After its completion, there were almost no Affenpinschers left in Germany.
Affenpinschers are still considered a rare breed in their homeland. The number of purebred puppies is no more than 30 per year. There are very few of them in Russia. If you want to buy a unique pet for home keeping, “monkeys” – what you need.
The appearance of the first Affenpinscher in Russia is associated with the arrival of the future Empress Catherine II in the country. The little squabbler traveled with the royal convoy to protect the magnificent dresses from mice. For a long time nothing was heard about the representatives of this breed. Only at the end of the 20th century were the first tribal Affenpinschers brought in, but still “monkeys” are considered exotic.
A small, black, shaggy lump with beady eyes and a beard, takes himself very seriously, holds himself proudly, realizing his own magnificence, which makes Affenpinscher a very comic character.
- Height at withers – from 25 to 28 centimeters.
- Weight – from 4 to 6 kilograms.
- Head – with a pronounced forehead, the skull is domed.
- Jaws – the lower one is slightly ahead of the upper one. When the mouth is closed, the teeth are not visible. Black, dry lips.
- Nose – black, with a shortened, elongated back, rounded lobe, nostrils – open.
- Eyes – large, round, dark. Eyelids – black, with coarse hair.
- Ears – set high, directed forward, with the inner side pressed to the head. The ears are not cropped by standard. Cropped ears can only be seen in pet-class dogs.
- Neck – quite heavy, short, without folds.
- Body – dense, square, with an inclined top. The muscles are strong. The loin is shortened, the croup is short and smoothed. The chest reaches the joints, the sides are flattened. The belly is tucked up, almost parallel to the back.
- Front limbs – flat, set wide apart, with flat, oblique blades. The elbows are directed straight back, the pasterns are muscular. Feet – rounded, compact.
- Hind limbs – stand with a slight slope, with moderate angles of the joints. The thighs are large and powerful enough. The legs are long. The legs are extended, the toes are curved and tightly gathered.
- Tail – in the form of a saber or sickle. Docking is prohibited in Europe, but in Russia breeders dock tails for pet-class animals.
- Wool – thick, rough, length – about 25 millimeters. On the body it is close to the skin, and on the head it puffs up. Forms a goatee, mustache, eyebrows, bucks.
- Color – The International Cynological Federation recognizes only the solid black color of Affenpinschers, negatively regarding the slightest white spots. The American Kennel Club has its own views on the breed: in the USA red, black and tan or gray, silver colors are acceptable.
You need to walk Affenpinscher twice a day: in the morning and in the evening, alternating regular walks with playing and training sessions. Heat is bad for a dog covered with thick black hair. [/сolor-box]
Free walking is undesirable: even in a fenced area, a compact pet will find a gap and will not slow down to slip outside. Considering Affenpinscher’s quarrelsome nature and frivolous size, such a walk could end badly.
Representatives of this breed are fed with dry or wet super-premium food. Natural products are not prohibited either. The diet does not differ from the food of other purebred dogs. Lean meat, sea fish, dairy products, cereals, vegetables, fruits. Such a menu will have to be supplemented with products containing substances necessary for health.
Affenpinschers are strictly prohibited from eating “human” food from the common table: allergic reactions and stomach problems are possible. As an incentive treat, you can use cheese, any dried fruits, except candied fruits, crackers.
The main problems affenpinschers bring themselves: numerous dislocations and fractures – a consequence of excess energy in this breed. There are few genetic diseases to which the representatives of the breed are prone:
- heart diseases;
- problems of the genitourinary system;
- eye diseases;
- problem teeth.
Affenpinschers live 12 to 14 years with proper care.
Choosing a puppy
There are not many puppies in one litter – no more than four, therefore, when choosing, it is worth looking at all the babies. A good indicator will be the same size and weight of all puppies. One weak is the norm.
- The puppy’s coat should not have bald patches and bald patches, an unpleasant odor.
- Pay attention to bite and complete set of teeth.
- Curiosity, sniffing, and attempting to defend territory with loud barks are natural behavior for puppies. If the kids are lethargic and inactive, something is wrong..
- Look at the parents: many indicators of the exterior and character are inherited, to one degree or another.
- A professional breeder will answer affirmatively to the request to “track” the puppy in the first year – this indicates that the person is not indifferent to his business, excluding the option with commercial breeding “anyhow”.
Affenpinscher Price (Puppy Price)
A rare breed even in its homeland, it is still exotic in Russia. There are few specialized kennels, but the quality of the puppies is “jumping”. The price depends on the titles of the parents, the severity and purity of the characteristics of the breed, the exhibition perspective.
- Pet-class kids, with deviations from the standard, without the right to mate, will cost from 25 to 30 thousand rubles.
- Puppies of international champions, with the prospect of taking prizes, are estimated in the range from 90 to 120 thousand rubles.