Responsible future owners often think about whether a dog needs a muzzle. And immediately after buying an animal, they understand what they really need. It’s just that some will use it every day, while others will use it a couple of times a year: at a dog show and at a veterinarian. It is important to determine which breeds should be in it constantly, and which in certain cases. After a person has decided which dogs need a muzzle, it is necessary to study the information and find out which muzzle is best for this particular breed.
The content of the article:
- 1. Muzzle Law
- 2. Types of muzzles for dogs
- 3. Which muzzle to choose
- 4. How to choose the size of the muzzle
- 5. How to muzzle a dog
- 6. What to do if your dog takes off the muzzle
- 7. How to train to muzzle: video
Today there are a number of laws and acts (Federal Law “On the Responsible Treatment of Animals” dated December 27, 2018, Resolution No. 974 dated July 29, 2019), which together give the following picture:
- There are 12 dog breeds that are considered violent and capable of aggressive behavior. Such fangs must always be limited..
- In certain places and during some events (exhibition, shop, transport) absolutely everyone must be “in check”.
- Also, do not forget about the distribution of breeds into large and small. The border between the two is weight. So, if your pet is heavier than five kilograms – do not forget to buy a muzzle.
- And remember that only the owner bears all responsibility for the behavior of the dog: shit – remove, caused an accident – finance the repair, rushed, bit – pay for treatment and a fine.
Types of muzzles for dogs
This type of product has two options: the actual leather and the leather mesh. They have some differences, so we will consider each separately..
1. Leather muzzle
This is a closed muzzle for dogs. It looks somewhat intimidating, as muzzles should look like. A wide strip of skin surrounds the mouth, in addition, the leather insert in the front completely excludes the possibility of a bite. This muzzle is needed for the dog so that it cannot harm people or other animals. When choosing this muzzle, you need to be careful, as it can be unsafe for the dog. In the warm season it will be very hot, and to regulate body temperature, the dog must be able to open its mouth wide and roll out its tongue. Air access is also very important, otherwise the dog can get heatstroke and die.
This kind of themes is good, then, unlike plastic or metal, it is quite soft. When hitting a person with acceleration, another animal will not injure either the one it is wearing, or the one who was in its path. An unambiguous disadvantage can be called wetting and loss of shape. From physiological secretions from the mouth and nose, from dew, water and snow, the skin gets wet. Because of this, it subsequently dubs and, as it were, dries up, taking on an not entirely natural form. And if you put a muzzle on the dog the next time, then after a while the material will take on the correct shape. But still, at first, the animal will experience discomfort. To buy a leather muzzle, you have to spend a significant amount.
2. Muzzle – leather mesh
This type is more convenient for the animal. Quality material, good fit and, most importantly, adequate ventilation. Just like the previous one, he dubs after meeting with liquids, but then returns to the required shape. At a price it is half the price of ordinary leather, since much less material is used in it. When buying a muzzle, pay special attention to details. Each leather band is attached to the rest with small metal rivets. If they are of poor quality and break off quickly, the dog takes off the muzzle or simply sticks out its mouth. Such a product has to be changed about once a year due to wear and tear.
The unequivocal disadvantage of leather muzzles in general is the difficulty in taking care of the material. It is difficult to wash and clean it, and it dubs and cracks with moisture and dirt.
You need to choose a leather muzzle so that the dog is safe in it and does not experience excessive discomfort. She was definitely able to open her mouth in it and breathe, sticking out her tongue, that is, the muzzle should in no case tightly grip the dog’s mouth. The nose should not rest against the base of the muzzle.
This muzzle is used to prevent the dog from picking up food from the ground.
The base of the muzzle from the selection is usually almost deaf, has only small slots, while the main part is a coarse mesh. Due to this, even the most agile dogs cannot push food found on the ground inside the muzzle.
It is the plastic muzzle that is the most budgetary. On average, its price is 1/5 of the cost of a large leather muzzle. It is well ventilated, does not fall off, protects others from bites, while allowing you to breathe freely.
These muzzles are most often black or beige. Sold in many stores, it is important to get the right size.
The problem can be that, playing too much, the dog can scratch the bridge of his nose on the edges of the plastic mesh of the muzzle. However, many manufacturers now solve this problem by making the edges rounded at the nose.
Also, the disadvantage is that the plastic can crack over time.
He, like other muzzles, must be selected so as to give the dog the opportunity to open its mouth and breathe, sticking out its tongue.
Nylon (fabric) muzzle
These muzzles are also called medical or veterinary. The bottom line is that a nylon muzzle for a large or small dog is not designed for long-term wearing, but as a temporary measure, say, a visit to the veterinarian. With the help of a fabric muzzle, the owner fixes the mouth of the animal in order to protect the doctor. The product is small. Consists of a piece of fabric that fits tightly only part of the muzzle. And, of course, the straps behind the head. The undoubted plus of a rag muzzle is free access to the nose, ears, eyes, if necessary for treatment purposes. It is very convenient that this product can have two variations:
- Fixed size. You can’t buy this one without trying it on in the store..
- Velcro for free resizing. This option is suitable for the owner who keeps several dogs of different breeds and sizes. The main thing is to understand how to properly muzzle a dog, videos from the Internet can tell beginners how to do this..
In no case should such a muzzle be used during normal walks, especially in the warm season..
Metal muzzle mesh
A muzzle made of metal is the strongest, highest quality and most practical to use. It is easy to predict who will wear this type of product. These are large shepherds (German, Caucasian), wolfhounds, mastiffs and other large dogs. This is not really a muzzle for a beagle or dachshund, although such options are acceptable. The price of the product will be significant. But you can also use it indefinitely. Among the poles, we will name the following: protection of others from bites, wear resistance of the material. Of the minuses: the ability to injure and harm others during activity, in some cases sticking of the nose, lips and tongue to metal in frost. Naturally, it has several varieties..
- With leather insert. A fairly convenient option. It fixes well and is quite reliable. Among the shortcomings – freezing to the material in the winter, if the metal is not treated with paint, and the hardening of the leather cover from exposure to water.
- Made of rubberized metal. More ventilated version, chafing possible, but no more than in all other cases.
Such muzzles are most often used to protect others, to train the guarding qualities of a dog when working with a trainer.
Muzzle loop (halter)
A halter or a haltie is legally a muzzle. That is, those institutions and events where this dog accessory is needed, you can visit with nylon tape around the mouth. But in fact – this training muzzle does not perform the classic functions of a muzzle. It is rather a collar for very large and heavy dogs, as the leash is attached to the halter ring located under the dog’s muzzle. Like a bridle for a horse, only a halter, when jerking, will turn the dog’s head. Thus, it allows you to keep even a very large dog on a leash if it decides to jerk somewhere. Often used with dogs that are higher than the person’s center of gravity, such as Great Dane.
It is very important to be careful with this type of corrective ammunition, as the dog can injure the cervical vertebrae when jerking.
Which muzzle to choose
Among the extensive list of options and styles, there is always one that your pet needs. Choosing a muzzle for a dog is an important point, so you need to consider:
- Purpose of the purchase. The most important criterion. If your Labrador picks up food from the ground, and you buy him a metal mesh, he will quickly learn to push the pieces of the found food through the grill, and the muzzle will not serve its function. If your task is to walk the dog in a muzzle all the time, and you purchase a nylon veterinary muzzle, then a veterinarian may soon be needed, because such a muzzle in the heat and with physical exertion can lead to hyperthermia and death of the animal. be careful.
- The size of the animal. The choice depends on the height, weight, breed. Agree, a muzzle for small dogs and a muzzle for a Labrador, so as not to pick up garbage, will be noticeably different. For large breeds, leather or metal muzzles are more often chosen, for babies – leather mesh or plastic. The main thing is that the muzzle meets your goals, otherwise it will not make sense.
- His temperament and habits. By far the most important criterion. If the dog constantly digs dirt, snow, dew grass, moss, etc., the skin will quickly deteriorate. If he constantly runs and knocks people down, crashes into trees, the plastic will break, the iron will withstand the blow, but both options will be extremely painful.
- Price policy. Leather and metal are more expensive, plastic and fabric are cheaper. The main criterion is the purpose of the purchase.
- Personal preferences. If something seems beautiful to you, you can choose different types within the required model.
How to choose the size of the muzzle
Before putting on a muzzle for a dog, you need to decide on the size. The easiest option is to come to the store with your pet and try on everything. In doing so, it is important to remember five conditions.
- Fixation behind the head under the ears. It should be fastened slightly above the collar, possibly attached to it with a carabiner.
- Strap on the nose. For dogs who often remove the muzzle themselves, it is best to choose a model that has two straps on the sides and one that goes between the dog’s eyes..
- Below the eyes at a sufficient distance. When running and jumping, the animal can hit or scratch the eyeball with the muzzle – this should not be allowed. Plus to everything – a banal discomfort if the world is partially closed from view.
- The ability to breathe fully. Trying on the product, check that the dog can calmly open his mouth and stick out his tongue. Only in this way will sufficient cooling and oxygen supply to the animal’s body occur during activity.
- Seams. Check each connection to avoid scuffs and wounds. Do not expose your pet to painful sensations.
If it is impossible to be present during the fitting, measure the face of your four-legged friend. Based on your measurements, the pet store employee will show you how to measure the muzzle for your dog and choose the most suitable one. You will need a stationery ruler and a soft measuring tape. The following values should appear on the sheet:
- distance from a point between the bottom line of the eyes to the top of the nose
- the girth of the mouth is two centimeters below the eyes (do not forget to leave an allowance for the dog in the muzzle to open its mouth freely)
- the distance between the bottom line of the dog’s eyes and the point on the back of the head, directly opposite the nose
- the girth of the neck under the ears; the first four positions are measured with a tape
- the width of the nose – the measurement is made with a regular ruler at the widest point of the mouth
- mouth height with open mouth – also a ruler.
This way you can match the size of the dog’s muzzle.
How to muzzle a dog
To put a muzzle on a dog, you need to teach it to stick its mouth into the muzzle. First we put it on the face. Next, we straighten the straps: on one and the second ear. After that, we fasten the fasteners. The last is to control whether everything is in order: the eyes are not blocked by material, the pet breathes freely. To put on a muzzle on an aggressive dog, you must first teach the animal not to be afraid of this object and your actions, therefore it is better to use the services of specialists.
What to do if your dog takes off the muzzle
Like a person, an animal sometimes finds it difficult to get used to new circumstances or things. Imagine that you want to put glasses on your child, he does not understand what it is and why, and will take them off again and again.
So that the dog does not remove the muzzle, it is important to teach him not to be afraid and not to pay attention to this accessory. Use these tips:
- Don’t let him play with him, let him know that this is not a toy. Hide out of reach after use.
- Start working from home. Put the treat inside and offer to get the treat. Do this over and over to get the dog to start poking its muzzle with pleasure..
- When the dog starts to stick its muzzle inside, we fasten the belts and serve pieces of treats through the holes in the muzzle. Then we remove the muzzle and stop giving sweets. We do this exercise many times so that the dog understands, the treat appears only when the muzzle is put on.
- The duration of all exercises starts from a few seconds and gradually reaches several minutes. No need to overwork the dog with exercise.
- Associate with pleasant moments. Muzzle = delicacy.
- Now we go out into the street. We offer the dog to stick his muzzle on the muzzle, then fasten the belts and go for a walk. From time to time we feed the dog with a treat in those moments when he behaves calmly and does not try to remove the muzzle.
- Seeing an attempt to get rid of the muzzle – distract the dog with a toy or action.
- If you can’t train your dog to muzzle yourself, watch training videos on positive reinforcement training or use a trainer..