The content of the article:
History of the breed
Experts still have not come to a consensus either about the origin of the Whippets, or about the origin of the name of the breed..
- Whippet can be translated from English as “fast movement” or “fast run”, which may well characterize these dogs. The word originated in Britain in the 13th century. Various derivatives of the word were called small, fast dogs intended for baiting rabbits..
- According to another version – the name of the breed is related to another English word: “whip”. The whippet moves as fast as the swing of the whip. In addition, the dog’s tail resembles this object, and the animal moves it very energetically. If a dog rejoicing at the meeting touches its owner with its tail, the comparison will be quite justified.
There are also several versions of the birth of the breed, and all of them are not without grounds..
- Dogs similar to modern Whippets were introduced to Britain by the Romans in the first century BC. Animals descended from Pharaoh dogs. It is believed that the Whippets served as a base for breeding the Greyhound and Italian Greyhound.
- According to another version, whippets are obtained from a mixture of small greyhounds and terriers, and their purpose was not the most romantic – the new breed served as an object for baiting large greyhounds. The constant struggle for life played a decisive role in the development of the main qualities of the Whippets – speed and endurance. They rarely caught up.
- The third version is not so believable from a historical point of view. According to her, the breed appeared only in the 19th century, in Great Britain, and miners and workers bred it for hunting and participating in dog races. In fact, the breeding of racing dogs and the development of new breeds was available only to the aristocracy – an expensive occupation required a huge number of dogs of different breeds, and Greyhounds were best suited for sports. Poor people had alternative entertainments: “rag” races, where animals chased not after live game, but after a handkerchief – “reg”. Stamina, speed and unwavering fighting spirit were required of the dogs. The ancestors of the Whippets, thus, became the aristocratic Greyhound and various representatives of the terriers..
It is unlikely that it will be possible to find out which version is closest to the truth, but it is obvious that Whippets and Terriers are related. The presence of common features both in the exterior and in character leaves no doubt about it.
Also, there is no doubt that the closest relatives of the Whippets are Greyhounds. In contrast, Whippets have a more explosive temperament and a more developed distrust of strangers – which again suggests a relationship with terriers.
In Great Britain the nickname “Bull Terrier among Greyhounds” has stuck to the breed. The genes of these dogs have indeed become the starting material for several types of terriers, including the Bull Terrier and Bedlington Terrier.
Whippets can often be found at exhibitions and are noted for their resemblance to Greyhounds and Italian Greyhounds. All these breeds are characterized by sophistication, grace and amazing ease of movement..
Description of the breed
Love for the owner knows no bounds. The pet tries to be there every minute, it very badly tolerates long separation and loneliness. Many owners characterize the breed as vulnerable and sensitive – dogs do not tolerate quarrels and abuse in the family, they are afraid to be alone at home. [/сolor-box]
If you do not pay enough attention to the whippet and do not give him time to throw out his energy, he is capable of hooliganism: spoiled furniture, wallpaper, interior items will release the dog’s energy. Not out of malice, but because of an excess of energy.
The breed is remarkably healthy, does not have a tendency to allergic reactions, and does not have dysplasia of the joints. It resists infections well. But breed features are still present:
- Eye diseases.
- Deafness, often congenital.
- Blood clotting and bleeding disorders.
During the active development of the breed, weak specimens were discarded, not spreading genes that did not meet standards further. The absence of joint dysplasia in the hound surprises even leading breeders.
We should also note the poor tolerance of anesthesia – due to the small amount of subcutaneous fat. Anesthesia during surgery, which any other dog can tolerate painlessly, can be fatal for the Whippet. Therefore, the choice of a doctor for a dog must be taken with responsibility and make sure that he knows about this feature.
Routine vaccinations are required, as is the treatment of the animal from parasites and worms. For prevention purposes, it is recommended to visit the vet annually..
Choosing a puppy
There are many details to consider when choosing a puppy from a litter.
Puppies are weaned between 6 and 9 weeks of age. Such babies are energetic, playful, with clean eyes and ears, shiny hair and “brutal” appetite. If these signs are not present, it is most likely that something is wrong with the puppies.
The presence of documents confirming the pure origin is required. At a young age – a puppy card, later – a pedigree.
If the baby is more than 60 days old, the breeder must present a certificate of vaccination – these are mandatory procedures that protect the puppy from serious illnesses.
Young whippets are more like a bull terrier or stafford – the muzzles have not yet extended, the ears have not acquired a characteristic shape, and the pigment of the nose and eyelids may not yet form in light-colored puppies.
Experienced breeders recommend taking a puppy with the longest head possible. But it should not be disproportionate or too large.
The transition from forehead to muzzle should be subtle.
The shape of the eyes and their cut should be characteristic of the breed.
Even in puppies, the tail is long, up to the hock and even larger. No dewlap, straight tail.
It is worth paying attention to all the puppies in the litter – they should be about the same size. If there are too large and too small puppies in a particular breed line, this is a sign of possible problems.
Whippets with malocclusion are very rare, but it doesn’t hurt to check.
The color of the representatives of the breed is not regulated, so you can choose a puppy of your favorite color.
The main quality, which should be guided in the choice, is character. Training and education can bring the traits to perfection, but the foundations have already been laid. It is worth watching the behavior of the baby you like: how he plays, how he behaves with people, how he treats other puppies.
Depending on the purity of the breed, age and characteristics of the puppy, pedigree, the cost can range from 10,000 to 45,000 rubles.
List of nurseries
Whippet breeding nurseries:
1) EDELEN Vilyuchinsk – edelengreyhounds.mirbb.com/
2) Krasnaya Arrow, Moscow – whippet.borda.ru/?1-16-0-00000165-000-0
3) Kotmarian, Novorossiysk – vk.com/club89826579
4) Arkas Aruna Ozersk – pitomez.ru/ru/club/show/2478/
5) From the Volga Serenade of Samara – www.hochusobaku.ru/kennel/854/