Pet malaise is any owner’s nightmare. Sometimes in tetrapods, disturbing symptoms may appear: the puppy drinks a lot of water, breathes intermittently and heavily, goes to the toilet a lot. The same problems occur in adult dogs. We will tell you if it is scary and how to act if you notice these signs in your pet..
The content of the article:
The reason why the dog drinks a lot is diseases
The desire to drink usually occurs in furry in hot weather and after the street. But sometimes “waterlogging” is a sign of malfunctions in the body. In veterinary medicine, this condition is called polydipsia. Here are the health problems that make puppies drink a lot.
Colds and infections
Like people, their friends catch colds. Due to the heat, the body loses moisture, and the pet is thirsty. In addition, a cold can be recognized by the following signs:
- hot nose for a long time;
- cough and runny nose;
- passivity, drowsiness, unwillingness to play;
- fever above 39 degrees;
- faded and disheveled coat;
- transparent snot from the nose.
Polydipsia occurs in more dangerous infections: plague of carnivores, parainfluenza, viral hepatitis, adenovirus infection. They need to be excluded first. If the body temperature is very high, the dog has cramps, vomiting, coughing or snot with pus, then immediately run to the veterinarian.
Diabetes mellitus or its insipidus form
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder with a high sugar content in the body. There is a disease called diabetes insipidus, it is associated with a violation of the water-salt balance. These are similar in symptoms to common diabetes. Problems can be suspected by the following signs:
- the dog drinks a lot, but does not get drunk, the mucous membrane is not moistened; in the non-sugar form, he can drink up to 15 liters per day;
- he often wants to go to the toilet, he does not tolerate a walk;
- the urine becomes lighter;
- appetite increases, but the animal does not gain weight;
- there is an unpleasant sweet or rotten smell from the mouth;
- eyes become cloudy;
- numbness of the paws, wobbly gait;
- wounds and scratches heal for a long time, the coat grows dull, the animal constantly itches.
Polydipsia occurs when nutrients are constantly excreted from the body in urine and unprocessed glucose. The balance needs to be restored.
Cushing’s syndrome is a problem in the endocrine system. They cause an imbalance in hormones, from which all internal organs suffer. A dog with this consumes a lot of moisture due to dehydration, which is caused by frequent urination. Other indicators:
- increased appetite;
- sagging abdomen;
- hair loss, bald patches;
- deterioration in skin quality: dryness, acne;
- insomnia and restlessness;
Stomach ulcers occur in tetrapods due to poor quality and irregular nutrition, as well as stress and medication. The disease is eroded areas on the walls of the stomach.
- refusal to eat and thinness;
- repeated bouts of lightheadedness, vomiting – because of it the body becomes dehydrated, and the dog wants to drink,
- diarrhea, dark and loose stools;
- lethargy, refusal to walk and play, whine;
- anemia – it makes you thirsty, and the animal often pees, it develops a fever.
Poisoning in dogs is often the fault of the owner. You can get poisoned:
- poor quality or expired feed,
- “Human” food left unattended;
- outdoor or indoor plants;
- household chemicals;
- food picked up on the street;
- due to improperly formulated diet.
Signs of poisoning:
- vomiting and diarrhea, possibly with blood;
- heavy breathing and anxiety;
- lack of coordination;
- fast heartbeat;
- convulsions, loss of consciousness.
Polydipsia appears due to the fact that the four-legged vomits. The body seeks to replenish the water balance. Show your pet to the veterinarian urgently!
How much water does a puppy and an adult dog need??
Before you start worrying, find out how much fluid your dog is drinking.
For cubs, the norm is 100 ml per kg of body weight.
There is also an alternative calculation method. The type of food is important in it. If the pet eats ready-made food, then he should drink twice as much as the mass of the daily portion. If he eats natural food, the amount of drink should be equal to the amount of food..
All these norms are rather arbitrary, since the rate of moisture consumption depends on many factors. Absolutely normal “waterlogging” in such conditions:
- estrus, pregnancy or recent childbirth, lactation;
- high air temperature outside and indoors, in summer everyone drinks more;
- very dry air during the heating season;
- taking medications in the instructions for which such a side effect is indicated;
- the dog was changed to dry food;
- after castration or sterilization, when the hormonal background is rebuilt;
- high physical activity, usually thirst arises after walking.
It is worth worrying if the amount of moisture consumed increases dramatically without these conditions or other painful symptoms appear.
What to do?
So, you noticed that a toddler or adult dog is constantly spinning around a bowl of drinking. First, measure the amount of liquid to confirm your guess. To do this, you need to know exactly the volume of the bowl, fill it regularly and monitor the pet’s actions.
Pay attention to the nutrition of the animal: is there enough protein? Be sure to exclude shaggy salt and sugar in any form from your diet. Sometimes something happens when you can’t see. For example, the children were fed with a piece of sausage or candy.
Analyze the situation. See how long this behavior continues, if there are additional factors and commonplace reasons. For example, it’s stuffy outside or you recently changed the type of food. Just make sure your puppy has a large drinking container. In summer weather, arrange a couch in a cool, shaded area. Get a humidifier in winter.
It is very important to assess the general condition of the furry friend: is he active? Does he eat well? How often does he pee? Were there any drastic changes in health? If you notice any other problems, do not postpone your visit to the vet. Measure the temperature first.
At the doctor’s appointment, accurately describe all your observations and answer the questions. It will be necessary to pass tests and conduct detailed examinations:
- blood and urine tests;
- measure pressure;
- tests for hormones;
Try not to worry too much. The owner’s anxiety won’t benefit anyone..
Let the dog, especially the toddler, always have a large bowl of drinking water. If you find that your pet is drinking a lot, don’t panic. Do this: determine the amount of fluid you drink, think about whether thirst is associated with heat or physical activity, see how the four-legged is feeling. If you have any concerns, consult a doctor!